Any of you Respected Readers remember the song “Time in a Bottle” by Jim Croce? It was one of our wedding songs, so I remember it well. We have only so much time in our bottle because when it runs out — game over! How much time is left in your bottle?
I find it interesting to look over my life and reflect on the time spent, choices made. I see where I wasted time, was clueless, as I have meandered through life. What was I thinking – not!
In the current time I believe myself to be more aware, conscious, of time running out and I want to be sure that the time in a bottle that I have left is the most meaningful and positive memory filled time as possible.
How about you, Respected Reader, are you consciously looking at how your time is spent for optimal meaning and enjoyment? Let me propose a few categories for you to consider along this line.
- How much time do you want to spend with your significant other? Perhaps you want to apply Jim Croce’s words here. “I’ve looked around enough to know that you’re the one I want to go through time with.” I know I’ve made that choice with Sherry. Best doggone choice I’ve ever made in my life!
- Your kids, if you have them. How much time do you want to spend with them? Time flies. Remember “Cat’s in the Cradle.”
- Others. Who are people important to you? Need to spend more time with some? Less with others?
- Career. How much time spent earning a living? Is there a balance between work and play? Retired? How is that well earned time now being spent? Changes needed?
- Financial: How much time do you spend in planning your financial future? Do you spend and save wisely so that when the bottle is nearing empty your pocket will not be!
- Exercise: Does your personal time have exercise in it?
- Adventure: What fun and exciting adventures do you have going forward?
- Other. Are there other areas of life that could use a time analysis and possibly modify?
On a personal note, my bottle is almost empty. Not depressed. Grateful for the wonderful experiences I have been able to put in my bottle of time. I have been fortunate to have created a legacy that has the above categories checking out well. May you be as fortunate!