After reading this information we found this to be very interesting. In most cases, we found the information to be quite accurate. Wow, how the generations have evolved with considerable changes. Something to think about.
GI GENERATION: 1901–1926
Energetic, patriotic, courageous, loyal, community-oriented, hardworking, team players, respect for authorities.
SILENT GENERATION: (GREATEST) 1927-1945
Cautious, conformist, risk averse, imaginative, industrious, prudent, unquestioning of authority, the “beat” generation.
- Help them feel empowered, provide testimonials and resume, face to face communication, be on time for all appointments, shake hands, ask a lot of questions, offer options and explain details, schedule a specific time for follow up, be aware of physical limitations.
BABY BOOMERS GENERATION: 1946-1964
Ambitious, optimistic, individualistic, immediate Gratification, hardworking, competitive, materialistic, forever young.
- Emphasize your network of experts, highlight experience and credentials, provide the highlights, age targeted, not age restricted, never senior, boomers hate rules, demonstrate what you can do for them, interact in person, by telephone, or email, appeal to the active lifestyle.
GENERATION X: 1965 -1976
Skeptical, latchkey kids, isolated, cynical, entrepreneurial, independent, quality of life/family before career, self-reliant, pragmatic, reluctant to commit.
- Help negotiate price and details, handle the paperwork, fill in information gaps, help interpret information, provide fast responses (maximum two hours) deliver everything “yesterday”, realize there is only one chance to get it right. Do not try to “sell them anything”
GENERATION Y/MILLENIALS 1977 -1994
Empathetic with elders, sheltered, tolerant, sensitive to multiculturalism, hopeful, over scheduled, multi-taskers, short attention span.
- Above all, keep cool, be accustomed to multitasking, communicate by texting, social media, provide high-speed, broadband access, avoid pretentions, never over-promise.
GENERATION Z 1995-PRESENT
Technology adept, connected, introverted, short attention span, individualistic, impatient, communication in online
BABY BOOMER STATISTICS
- 77 million people born 1946-1964 (BABY BOOMERS)
- 26 % of the current US population
- 10,000 Baby Boomers will turn 65 everyday for the next 18 years
- 82% on some form of social media
- 84.9% use Facebook
- 59% provide financial support for their adult children age 18-39
- Dec. 31, 2029 the last of the Boomers turn 65
- Contribute 45% of all online product reviews
- 9 of 10 make online transactions
- Confident, independent, self-reliant (most likely to lead an organization as an executive or own a business)
- 83% identify with a particular religion
- Control $2.4 trillion, which is 70% of the wealth in the USA
- 70% still plan to move to another house
As Realtors, for the past 25 years we have had first-hand experience working with all the generations. What a delight it has been. We have gained a wealth of knowledge and we hope with this knowledge we can continue to provide each GENERATION with compassion and understanding.
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS ARTICLE. LET US KNOW.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Your father says inflation hasn’t ruined everything. A dime still can be used as a screwdriver.
A friend of ours, Eric Keese, shared this information on Generations & Baby Boomers. Eric is a real estate motivational speaker/teacher. He received the Industry Educator of the Year Award.